Some months ago I surfed around the official Joomla forum and I saw a request about a module, which provide a sticky module position for Joomla. I thought I will prepare a free module, which give the solution for this request.
What does it mean 'sticky' module?
It's hard to tell, but I will try to show you in an everyday problem. Let's start! You have a menu and a login form on the left side of your site. This column approximately fills the 50% of your site viewable area's height. You have some pages, which contains pretty long stories, product pages etc... Your visitor read the whole article and end up on the bottom of your site. What can (s)he do? (S)he can scroll back to the top of your site, maybe you have a navigation in the footer. What if (s)he would like to log in to write a comment? Scroll back to the top.
I hope you see that it's not so user-friendly solution. This is the problem what the Sticky modules position can solve. It gives you a canvas where you can put your modules up and this canvas will move with the visitor scrolling.
Setting up the module
- Download the installer
- Install it on your site
- Go to the module configuration
- Here is one important parameter: Module position to show
- This module position will show up in the Sticky module
Important: Never use the template built-in module position names(eg.: left, right...). Use a unique name, you can leave the value on the default 'sticky' text.
- Now you can put modules on this canvas.
- Go to module edit and change the module position of the modules (which you would like to show on this canvas) to the position name what you set in the previous step (default: 'sticky').
Note: The position field is a combobox, so you can write in the field.
- You are done, check the result of your work.
- Please write your ideas and experience in the comments!
In some templates there was some problem with the measurment the height of the column. In the new version (1.1) a new parameter showed up where you can set up a minimal height for the calculation.